Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Manual boarding passes

Here's something interesting to us youngins: I often consider the technological advances and new hip additions to airplanes, even in their floundering corporate states. (My current favorite is the set of headrest side flaps that can be pulled out to support you while you sleep, which I've found on Lufthansa, Delta 'Song' & United 'Ted' planes-- yes, I am a chin-buster while drifting off). But I really haven't ever considered the check-in process pre-computer.

On my trip down to Mississippi last week, Air Tran's entire computer system was down. Entire as in nationwide, including the web. Here's what happened...

1. After wait in especially long check-in line at La Guardia, the clerk scribbled my flight number, city, and initialed a photocopied scrap of paper. Read: manual boarding pass.
2. Air Tran information would not display on any departure/arrival or gate screens, so my coworker and I asked around until we found our gate.
3. Those lucky enough to have checked in online before the system shut-down boarded into their prescribed seat.
4. Everyone else was herded onto the plane (Surprisingly, this turned out to be more orderly than boarding other recent flights where the airline computers randomly separated couples).

In Atlanta, our layover pre-Memphis, is where it got hairy..

5. My coworker and I learn from an airport attendant our new gate number.
6. We "check-in" at said gate, where the employee informs us that our itinerary number will be valid for use .
7. We return to gate 40 min. later to wait for those with website pre-printed boarding passes to board, or any with "manual boarding passes" issued in Atlanta. Green ones, pink ones, white ones, any-color ones.
8. A different airline employee reads names off of a list for boarding in "any open seat"-- what list you ask? Oh, the one that was started after we went to the gate less than an hour before. No official manifest needed. Now, how does that work?

Luckily, we were the 3rd & 4th to last people to board the last plane to Memphis that night. I wonder if/how Air Tran compensated those 10 or so people that were left behind?!?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home